Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Lost Coconut Tree and a Bee

This Sunday morning after breakfast I decided to weed the "weed patch". Everyone of our plants was absolutely filled with them. Mind you we have about 20 potted plants.

Our new lawn guy (I used to be the old lawn guy) doesn't take care of them, nor does the flower beds and I let them get away from me.

So I was checking out this coconut tree I have had since 2001 in a pot. I actually brought it back from Big Pine Key to Ohio on the last big "family" trip down there (we stayed a month). I grew this tree in a pot from the nut.

Well, I think it got sick and had a lack of water this last dry season and didn't recover. It saddens me as I had come to think of the tree as Mason's tree (our first son, born an angel). My old boss had suggested I buy him the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom where the letters go up the coconut tree. See the connection?

Well, as I investigate the tree to verify I cannot save it, I sigh and realize it's time to move on. As I look up, I see a small honey bee buzz on the flowers next to me. We never, NEVER see honey bees. That means something is growing and food is being produced.

Life moves on.

~Jeffrey

No comments: