Friday, August 1, 2014

Lifestyle Entrepreneur-ing at Kinetic Thoughts

This post is about some of my journey to become a life style entrepreneur at Kinetic Thoughts LLC (my company that focused on technology).

I was told early on, that my company had no focus and people could not figure out what it was doing. I was miffed and kept struggling on. It turns out they were right. I should have read the book E-myth sooner. I tried writing software for hire, but I couldn't sell the service to the customers I identified as my possible market. Then I tried selling web design services, and found the market was saturated with low ballers for the limited design skills I had, or I was brow beaten into low ball prices.

So I finally shifted gears for Kinetic Thoughts. We no longer focus on building software for hire, or doing websites. We turn people with ideas into technology entrepreneurs! It's a great gig, because it allows us to be on the revenue generating side of the equation, instead of the cost saving (or worse overhead) side of the equation. Having done several projects to help start up the tech of some Startups, I was able to correctly identify our target customer and what channels to reach them. We have also been experimenting and learning about how Start up's operate and are created. I would like to learn more about new venture creation, as well as equity bias, and other things we were not taught in the MBA.

I have also added the strategy of harvesting assets from each project that can be reused, resold on their own, or given away to build good will/ reputation within the technology community. I hope one day to create a repository of products that generate passive income for Kinetic Thoughts and our partners that contribute to each asset.

That said, one of the things most entrepreneurs do is keep a journal. I keep one in a Google Doc (so I can access it from any one of my computers or devices). It works well enough.

However I have been considering building an application centered around the Google Document that accounts for journal activities, such as dates, formatting, reminders if you forgot an entry, table of contents, etc. Think like a blog, but personal and can be exported to a PDF, Word Document, CSV, etc. Perhaps I will build an MVP (Minimum Viable Product in Lean Startup Speak - LSS) and release it for free with a survey of "wanted features" to test the waters. If the response is favorable, and based on the features selected, I will add them for a premium version.

My own little asset to fit a need.

Jeffrey

No comments: