Thursday, January 15, 2009

Do you twitter?

I have mentioned Twitter before, but I didn't really explain it. Think of mass SMS (simple message system), eg. cell phone texting, that meets social networking. You follow people's messages, and they follow yours (but you can be following people they don't follow, and vice versa).

Check it out at www.twitter.com. My username is jeffrey_abbott

Twitter also connects to a series of applications, including Facebook, Twitterific, Tweetdeck, etc. You can update from the website, an API, or mobile device (phone, blackberry, iPhone, etc.).

The thing about Twitter is it does connect people and it connects them with information. Many news stories I first become aware of them on Twitter from my colleagues overseas, or I become aware of information or things of interest I might not have seen otherwise.

One word of caution, Twitter can be addicting, so as with anything, have a sense of balance and control.

So check out the future of social networking on Twitter, and hopefully someone will figure out how to make money from such a service (right now it is free and ad free - THANKS FOR THAT!).


~Jeffrey

No comments: