Friday, December 19, 2008

Einstein's refridgerator and hot water solar panels

Ok, my physics is not that strong any longer (it has been 10 years since the class). However, I sort of understand the basic principles of refrigeration. That said, does anyone think it is possible to combine the solar hot water panels (we use them a lot to heat pools and now hot water tanks) as the heat source and combine with Einstein's refrigerator for cooling a household.

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_hot_water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

I think it is do-able, if not as a replacement, but possible as a supplement to the air conditioner. Thing is, the temperature here is not the only culprit, but the humidity (removing it). This is the same reason why "gator coolers" in the west work well to make you feel comfortable in the dry climates.

Thoughts? Please comment, I would like to have a discussion on this. As for way to make money, there are a myriad of ways. Services to the install or retrofitting of existing panels and unit, to the manufacture of the refrigerators (I think the patent as run out), as well as tertiary products (couplings, butane gas containers for it, etc).

I think this would be great for areas with high sun (Florida, Texas, California) as well as developing countries.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The solar hot water panels will not create enough heat to cause the hydrogen/ammonia/water mixture to evaporate. The "Einstein" refrigerator is the same concept as the propne, natural gas and kerosene powered refrigerators that have been around for ages. They have a direct burner applied to the sealed system causing it to turn the mixture into steam seperating the ammonia vapor from the water as it cools. It takes a substantial amount of heat. There is an article on my website that explains it. Scroll down to the second article in "Ben's Blog"
www.BensDiscountSupply.com

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you could use regular solar panels to power a heating element but it would probably be too innefficient. I saw some guys run one with a huge magnifying glass..it was pretty funny lol.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Ah, thanks for the advice. I am looking for a way to cool from the heat (isn't everyone?). BTW, how did you find the blog?

clu101 said...

I dont know but have you ever had Einstein's bagels? Asiago is my fav nad I dont even like cheese! :D

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

@clu101 Ha! I will have to try them out.