Friday, October 17, 2008

Great book on making Root Beer, Soda, and Pop

I recently picked up a great book from Amazon titled "Homemade Root Beer, Soda & Pop".



Now I found this book to be very informative. Whether you want to go the route I did with an investment in equipment, or use keep it within your existing household items, you can. I probably have $80 in EQ that I have collected over the last six months, but I use it for beer making as well - note blog post after this weekend about how the beer turned out thus far, I am bottling Saturday hopefully.

It covers making soft drinks from scratch, from syrups, as well as making desserts and some alcoholic drinks. One of my favorite sayings in the book was now we have a fine line between alcoholic vs. non-alcoholic. When some of these recipes were written, this line was a little blurred. The recipes cover times when people did these type of activities, most from the 1800 to early 1900's (well I guess the hippies revitalized it too).

Along with the normal every day soda (including cola, ginger ale, root beer, cream soda, citrus sodas, and raspberry soda), there are such oddities as birch beer (more so a northeast drink), whizzers, and switchel. Also included are even stranger things as a coffee soda, pumpkin soda, and tomato beer.

The book itself was around $11. I look forward to adapting the recipes to low sugar or sugar free drinks.

~Jeffrey

No comments: