Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chasing the Dragon

I am not looking to find the end of corporate existence, but I have to say this. You ever heard the term "chasing the dragon"? It refers to drug use. It means that once you get high, you tend to look for the next high. However, you start to need more and more to get that same high (or more as you crave it). The song "Mr. Brownstone" has a line "A little used to do it, but a little got more and more".

Well technology is like that. You have to learn new stuff to stay on top. Not only that, you have to learn more and more to stay on top. It evolves while it changes and is additive. So the expanse of what you need to know to be "good" gets more and more. Is anyone else tired of "chasing the dragon"?

I think this is part of the root of my dissatisfaction with being a corporate technologist. It used to be what drew me. Now... it is almost a curse. Don't get me wrong, I love being on the cutting edge, but I find myself being drawn to family and friends, rather than sitting in a chair like a troll 16 hours a day. Something will give, but will it be me or the way I look at it?

No comments: