Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Now, I like to gripe. I like to gripe that I have been slighted in some fashion. Whether by former generations, by large corporations, by illegal immigrants, by welfare recipients, by God, or by fate. All and all though, my life is not that bad. As the beach bum sage sings, "I'm living in the sunshine, staying content most of the time."

I could dwell on my tragedies (and trust me, we have had a few in the last few years), but what is the point? As the reply to one of my favorite sayings, "I can't complain", with the response of "Nobody would listen anyway". Nobody said you were promised everything your heart desires. At least you are living in America. They did promise you as a citizen, Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT of Happiness. Not Happiness itself. You must seek it out.

How you do that, the path is as individual as each person. As my good friend always tells me, you need to find contentment. My reply is, "you always tell me that, but how do I go about it?" His response is "you need to figure it out. What is contentment for me, is going to be different than for you."

I find that sage advice.

As I end this philosophical post, a line from a song line comes to mind, "Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had good life all the way..." So true, and I will continue to do so, with some contentment thrown in for good measure.

2 comments:

CTR said...

Good post! As the stones so wisely said... "You can't always get what you want..but if you try sometimes.. you just might find...you get what you need!"

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Thanks CTR, nice sage song line... "If can be where you love, love the place you are at..."