Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Creative Thinking - Divergent and Convergent Rules!

A little taste of my learning about creative thinking. A major crux of the creative thinking is the ability to diverge (a mechanism of this is brainstorming) and then take those ideas and converge for the outcome you were hoping to achieve (granted this is only a part of the process, but you will see these are the "nuts and bolts" of the process).

That said, here are the rules for each:

Divergent Thinking Rules
  • Defer Judgment
  • Strive for quantity
  • Seek wild ideas
  • Build on other’s ideas
Convergent Thinking Rules
  • Be affirmative
  • Be deliberate
  • Check objectives
  • Improve ideas
  • Consider novelty
Remember to expand out when diverging (think "Expanding your mind") and to then look for the hit, highlight, "sparkle" when converging.

Stay creative,

~Jeffrey

2 comments:

Creative said...

I didn't realize there were rules to creative thinking, but I suppose they are necessary to guide the process. It isn't easy for me to follow the rules. I once had an IT Architect ask me to "put on my turn signal" when I jumped in my thinking, from one topic to another... I was diverging all over the place and she was digging deeper and deeper into one thought. Great, collaborative team mate.

Creative said...
This comment has been removed by the author.