Monday, September 29, 2008

reacTIVision - the future of DJ-ing with this very cool tech!

A colleague of mine (thanks Ian!) introduced me to reacTIVision, a component of the reacTable, a new synthesizer using a multitouch table (like a giant iphone, but in the size of a drafting table) and fiducial markers (squigglies).

Here is an example of fiducial markers


A better explaintation would be these YouTube Videos:



Bjork has it on tour even:



The basic gist of the software, is I want to use it for different applications other than the reacTable. Many people are looking into this for wearable tags and other such ideas. I am thinking of wearable tags that you can read with a cell phone so people in the club can know your "status", if you are looking for someone, or there to just "dance".

Interesting to couple this with augmented reality glasses (imagine projected images onto a lense so you see a HUD for the world around you).

You don't need the touch table to actually make it work. You can use a webcam, camera, or even a cellphone and create your own markers. I plan to check this software out one evening and I will let you know how I fair.

All and all, if anyone plays with this technology, let me know in a comment. I would enjoy perhaps collaborating.

~Jeffrey

No comments: