Friday, July 11, 2008

Free WiFi Networks - How do I set one up?

Asking such a question on a blog that you post to might not get a response, however, I have been thinking about this problem a lot lately. How does one go about setting up a free Wifi Network?

I want to set one up for my local community that is self sustaining. How might I do that is a question?After playing with DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54GS router, I noticed it had the ability to put advertisements to the web browsers connected to it. So a visible means of support could be local business advertisements.

OK, part one is sort of covered (the money). However, what about a co-op like the electric company? People buy into the company that makes some money by advertisements? What other business models could be done? Other services that could be provided by a free wifi network? Wifi Radio stations on it? Free phone services over VOIP?

OK, next big question is how to get the current services provider in the area to allow me to do such a thing? Or how do I get the WiFi routers connected to the internet without going through the ISP?

I have been looking on wikipedia and community networks, but it looks like the concept sort of died (well I can see that, nobody wants to fund free).I had a friend that I lost touch with that went down to Savannah, GA to try and set one up. Maybe someone from there can weigh in and help? Contact me via the blog.

I would like to set one up in either the business district of Cape Coral or Downtown Fort Myers.

There will be more thoughts on this.I need to flesh it out more on paper to diverge and converge my thinking about this.

I think this could be a good thing. Better than just a list of local area "free" hotspots, but a wide coverage or "cloud" of wifi all can connect to (so you can do wifi radio, wifi phones, etc).

Contact me via the blog if you have any interest, knowledge, or support. Thanks!

~Jeffrey

No comments: