Thursday, July 17, 2008

Visit to NY - The place is GREEN GREEN GREEN!

Well, I recently went to upstate NY for about 4 days. I have to say as soon as I got off the plane in Albany and headed out to I-90 I noticed one thing, HOW GREEN IT WAS! It is probably more green there than in SWFL. I guess the plants are like, "Hurry up and grow. Store energy! The winter is coming soon!" Hehe.

Anyway, here are some shots I thought were good. Excuse the greyness in some. It was raining a little that day. These photos range from the Chatham, NY area down to Somers, NY / Danbury, CT (and some places in between). So that is like 4 counties in NY (Columbia, Dutchess, West Chester, and Putnam).

Things about NY that are different than SWFL that I miss from OH:
  1. Trees with leaves that fall off
  2. Hills
  3. Curves



I think this is Route 100 heading to 22? It was a nice drive. I tried to get the lake/reservoir on the left in a picture. Sorry, it didn't work out that way.




Wild black berries in my cousin's back yard.



Queen Ann's lace (also cousin's backyard)



Nice, tall, mature trees. My cousin's property is surrounded by a forest of like 90 acres owned by a non-profit organization. Meaning NOBODY will build as long as that org owns it. Very nice, quiet, and secluded.



Ok, it is not a plant, but it is green. This is a newer Lotus that was parked at the East Fish Kill rest stop on I 84. I am going to ask my buddy that writes Car Test Ride to identify the year and model if he can. The owner was pretty cool. He said he wished the weather would break so he could take the top down.

All and all it was good trip. I got to see family and do some creative problem solving facilitation for work. Cannot beat that for an extended weekend trip.

Lastly, flying now is starting to get bad. You are being treated like cattle. I think I will start to consider taking trains.

Until we blog again!

~Jeffrey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the trains....WAY more expensive and time consuming. Maybe they treat YOU like cattle because you might be wearing some t-shirt from the 80's and you have long hair....hehe

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

The trains right now are more expensive. However, rumor is air travel is expected to double in price next year. I have already seen it double. I have yet to find the tickets for $150 round trip like I did a few years ago. They are around $300. You can get cheaper if you want to fly STANDBY (however, I have seen more and more of those people in the airport waiting for the next flight).

The trip to NY (Poughkeepsie) on the train is like $174 one way. So... it will be comparable in price. But there is the time factor, trains are like driving. It takes 1.5 days. So that is $350 round trip, but is 3 days of travel (some of which would be on the bus from FM to Orlando).

As for my 80's T-shirt and long hair getting me treated like cattle, the rich token wife with fake boobies had the same treatment... DERWOOD!